Light Up Your Bathroom With Perfection
Your bathroom is a busy place where you spend time preparing for your day or unwinding after a long one. But when it comes to bathroom lighting, this space is often neglected.
Many people think that single ceiling light is enough to light up the entire room, but this isn’t the case. The best bathroom lighting creates a spa-like space to relax and recharge. Your lighting plan should be a series of layers, placing ample light needed for showers, shaving, or putting on makeup. Other light sources can enhance the overall mood of the room.
In this guide, we’ll cover everything you need to know about bathroom shower and vanity lighting in Sarasota, FL.
Task Lighting Vs. Ambient Lighting?
When you are trying to shave or apply makeup, task lighting can help. Task lighting should be bright enough to see clearly, but not so bright that it’s harsh on your eyes.
Ambient lighting, on the other hand, is designed to create an overall atmosphere in the room – from recessed ceiling lights to wall sconces. The goal is to make the space feel warm and inviting, not sterile or cold.
Now that you know the difference between task and ambient lighting, let’s look at some of the best ways to light your bathroom.
How To Light Your Bathroom
The first step in planning your bathroom lighting is to assess the existing space. Take note of any windows and where they are located in relation to the room. You’ll also want to look at existing light fixtures and determine if they’re adequate for your needs. Once you understand the space well, you can start planning your lighting.
Task Lighting Fixtures
1. Vanity Lighting: Vanity lighting fixtures are designed to illuminate your face so you can see while grooming. Many people don’t realize that putting recessed ceiling fixtures directly over the mirror will cast shadows on your face. This makes everyday grooming rituals more difficult.
The best way to achieve even lighting across your face is to mount vertical fixtures or sconces on either side of the mirror. If your mirror is large or you have a double sink vanity, you may need more than one light fixture.
2. Shower Lighting: Shower lighting needs to be bright enough to see clearly, but not so bright that it’s jarring. In a smaller shower, a single recessed light fixture may be adequate. But in a larger shower, you’ll need multiple light sources to avoid dark corners. Similar to vanity lighting, you’ll want to mount the fixtures on either side of the shower for even light distribution.
3. Cabinet Lighting: Cabinet lighting is a great way to add task lighting in your bathroom without taking up valuable counter space. These fixtures are typically installed underneath the cabinets and come in various styles.
Puck lights are one of the most popular cabinet lighting fixtures because they’re small and unobtrusive. But if you have glass front cabinets, you may want to opt for strip lights so they’re not as visible.
Ambient Lighting Fixtures
1. Recessed Lighting: Recessed lighting is perfect for ambient lighting because it can be installed flush with the ceiling. This type of lighting works well for small bathrooms because it doesn’t take up any space. Plus, recessed lights provide a clean and modern look.
2. Chandeliers: Chandeliers are a great way to add a touch of luxury if you have a large bathroom with high ceilings. These fixtures can be hung over the tub or in another strategic spot to add a bit of glamour. Ensure the chandelier is rated for use in a bathroom to withstand the humidity.
3. Wall Sconces: Wall sconce fixtures can be placed on either side of the mirror to add a warm, inviting glow to the room. Ensure the sconces are rated for use in a bathroom to withstand the humidity.
4. Ceiling Fans: Ceiling fans are a must in any Florida bathroom. They help circulate the air and keep the room cool and can also come equipped with built-in lighting. This is a great way to add both task and ambient lighting to the space.
5. Skylights: Skylights provide natural sunlight, which is perfect for ambient lighting. Just make sure the skylight is properly sealed and ventilated to prevent condensation buildup.
Now that you know how to light your bathroom, it’s time to contact a bathroom remodeling Company in Sarasota, FL, to get started on your project.
Get The Best Lighting For Your Sarasota, FL Bathroom
For over twenty years, Gilbert Design Build has been one of Sarasota’s top bathroom remodelers, giving each one the attention to detail that it needs. No matter the size or area of your Sarasota bathroom, we can fully accommodate your lighting and remodeling needs.
Contact us today to schedule a consultation!