Should I DIY or Hire a Handyman?
The decision to hire a handyman or do the work yourself can be difficult, especially if your DIY skills fall in that uncomfortable area between “capable” and “uncertain.” Most homeowners have some idea about how to perform basic home improvement projects but don’t always have the right resources or tools to get the job done.
If you’re feeling not-so-sure about your upcoming home improvements projects, and you’re trying to decide whether to make the repairs yourself or hire a professional, the following information can help you make a decision. Making the right choice can help ensure that your home improvement project is done right.
When Should You DIY?
DIY projects are best when you know what needs to be done and you feel comfortable doing the work. If you’re not sure whether you’re equipped to handle a home project on your own, try asking yourself a few questions before deciding whether to hire a handyman.
- Do I know what needs to be done? If you’re not sure how to complete the work, talk to an expert, watch online tutorials from reputable sources, or look it up in a home improvement reference book. Don’t get started until you know what to do step-by-step.
- Do I have the right tools? Home improvement projects often involve an assortment of tools. Projects can quickly become expensive if you have to buy those tools to get the work done.
- What are the consequences if I fail to do this correctly? Some projects can cause long-term damage if they’re performed incorrectly, while other mistakes are easy to fix. Know the level of risk before getting started.
Ultimately, it’s most important to know your own self and your skills before getting started with a home improvement project. After you’ve taken an inventory of the required tools, done the research, and spoken to an expert, if you’re still comfortable doing the work yourself, then the time is right to start your home improvement project.
When Should You Hire a Handyman?
Knowing when to hire a handyman can help you take care of your home and avoid errors that can lead to structural damage and costly repairs. Below are some of the metrics you can use to determine when it’s time to hire a handyman.
- The project involves a safety risk. Some home improvement projects, like electrical work, involve potential risk. An accident with electricity can lead to burns and even death. If you’re not 100% comfortable performing this type of home improvement project, contact a handyman to get started.
- You can’t afford a mistake. Sometimes hiring a handyman is cheaper than doing a DIY project. If you’re on a tight budget, you can only afford to do the project right the first time. Hire a handyman to get the work done and rest assured that it won’t need to be fixed any time soon.
- You don’t have time to do it right. Most home improvement projects take homeowners much longer to complete because they don’t have the expertise or the right tools to get the job done. If you’re on a tight timeline, hire a handyman to get the work done right, get it done efficiently, and get it done as soon as possible.
- You’re putting your home up for sale soon. Most home buyers will negotiate the price of your home down if they can find evidence that work done on the home was done incorrectly. If you plan to sell your home soon, protect your investment by hiring a capable handyman. Most likely, you’ll make the money back when the house sells.
- You want that peace of mind. Hiring a handyman gives most homeowners a certain reassurance that their home is in good hands. If you want to go to bed feeling confident that your home is well cared for, hire a professional.
What Kind of Work Is Best Left to a Handyman?
Handyman services are the “jack of all trades” of the contractor world. A good handyman can do just about anything to keep your home functioning properly. From toilet tank repair to window repair and light fixture installation, a good handyman can do all those projects that you keep adding to the home improvement to-do list.
Some of the items that you might hire a handyman for include:
- Crown molding installation. Hire a handyman to install crown molding around your living room and add a subtle touch of decor to your living room, dining room, and other parts of your house.
- Door replacement. Are you tired of the same old doors? Want to replace your old inexpensive doors with something a little more upscale or high-quality? A handyman can make your door installation easy and fast.
- Painting. Painting takes a lot of time and effort. If you’re a homeowner on the go, you may not have all the time in the world to repaint your kitchen, bathroom, and other rooms of the house.
- Popcorn ceiling replacement or re-texture. The popcorn ceilings of old are no longer attractive to modern homeowners. Hire a handyman to remove your popcorn ceilings and start fresh.
- Drywall repair. Remember that time the doorknob poked a hole in your bedroom wall? If you haven’t fixed it yet, hire a handyman to repair your drywall.
- Kitchen remodeling. Do you need someone to perform some basic home remodeling functions? A good handyman will replace your counters and floors, uninstall those old appliances and install new appliances in their place. It’s easy and fast.
Contact Gilbert Home Services
At Gilbert Home Services, we work with homeowners who have a wide range of needs, from basic plumbing repair to drywall repair to faucet installation and more. We can help you with your long “to do” list, whether you’re just trying to fix a small problem or get your home ready to sell. Contact us today to make an appointment for your upcoming home repair.